Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tune In Tuesday: Rock of Ages

This weekend, Cathy and I watched Rock of Ages.  We both had reservations.  Neither of us has seen the stage musical.  We're not exactly metal heads.  Plus, the day before, I got the new Entertainment Weekly and they gave it a C.  (I didn't read any further.  I wanted to see the movie and form my own opinion.)

Well... we liked it!  The reviews are tepid at best and it took in a disappointing $14 million, but we enjoyed it!  I hate Tom Cruise and his singing voice is kind of odd, but he did a great job in the role of Stacee Jaxx, a thinly-veiled Axl Rose-type rocker that is so sheltered he's lost touch with reality.  I was surprised that Stacee Jaxx was more of a supporting character.  Julianne Hough and Diego Boneta are the real stars as dewy, fresh faced Sherrie and aspiring rocker Drew.  They're an attractive couple.  Diego, obviously was especially appealling to me.
Julianne's voice isn't the best at times.  "Sister Christian" is borderline shrill.  But the rest of the cast delivers some pretty tight vocals, considering most of them aren't singers.  the exception is Mary J. Blige, who has a fairly small role, but she KILLS every line she sings!  She seems tailor made for rock music.  I would love her to do a whole album with a rock vibe!  The best two musical numbers are the ones in Mary's strip club, where no one ever actually strips.
The plot isn't particularly fresh or... hell even that important.  When I read the negative comments, I kind of shrug and admit I can't disagree with what they're saying.  I just don't care.  There are flaws, but it's just so much FUN!  Great songs, fun choreography, just a fun, entertaining movie!  I'm definitely buying the BluRay when it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment