Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Favorite Songs EVER! The Bravery - An Honest Mistake

I'm kind of eschewing my regular themes this week, just because. And I'm going in a different direction with today's MFSE!. The last two were POP-a-liscious 80s tunes, but today I am showcasing 2005's "An Honest Mistake" by The Bravery.
The song came out during a boom in what was called "Electro Clash" which no band seemingly wanted to be referred to as, so let's just call it Electro Rock. The Bravery hit the scene at almost the exact same time as the similar sounding band, The Killers. I loved them both! New Wave mixed with indie rock?! Two great tastes that taste great together! Or... sound great together, I suppose. Whatever, I was too busy shaking my ass to worry about it. However, worth pondering, allegedly the lyrics are about one of the band's members who kissed a male friend but then regretted it... calling it a mistake.This comes as no surprise. I mean do you SEE how much eye makeup they're wearing?! Anyway, enjoy! :


The song went to #15 on the US charts and their debut album hit #18. BUT, like The Killers and every other awesome Electro Rock band that came out at that time, they decided on their second album to ditch the electronics in favor of a more straight forward, guitar-driven sound. Gee, like there aren't already like ALL the other bands in the world that sound like that! At least they had the decency to provide synthier remixes of some of their later singles, but they haven't replicated the success of their first album. I mean, why do bands insist on getting rid of what makes them stand out, in order to sound like every other band in the world? Poor judgement, fellows. Poor judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment