Friday, December 24, 2010

Top 25 of 2010 - The Top Five!

This is it! Hope you guys enjoyed revisiting the past year in music! This is the top five!

5. Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
There are a billion sweet love songs. There were even a few more this year that I really liked and came close to making this chart, but I'll let "Just The Way You Are" represent them all. It holds the distinction of being a "Wedding" song that I actually like... I STILL like it as much as when I first heard it. Usually, with songs like this, I get super sick of them very quickly, but not this one, so that says something. I think Bruno Mars might be the break out new star of the year, too. He writes EXCELLENT lyrics, his voice has this lovely tone to it and he's a cutie pie! I'm on board!


4. Kylie Minogue - Get Outta My Way
There is absolutely no valid reason whatsoever why this song shouldn't have been a massive radio hit in the US, and yet it wasn't. What is WRONG with Americans?! How can they continually rebuff the attentions of the goddess Kylie?! And this song is Kylie at her Kyliest! A CLASSIC up there with "Spinning Around" and "Love At First Sight!"


3. Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over
Fueled by a gorgeous video, Florence + The Machine broke through big time, scoring this massive hit and even performing on the MTV VMAs! BEST! PERFORMANCE!! OF THE NIGHT!!! Like with La Roux, I am astounded that this killer single actually appealed to the mainstream, but it offered a nice alternative to the nonstop party songs. (I know, I know, that's what like this whole list is... you know what I meant!)


2. TIE Katy Perry - California Gurls (featuring Snoop Dogg)/Teenage Dream
Katy Perry blew away her first album on her followup. "California Gurls" was the irresistible song of the summer! It was just perfect-- bouncy, catchy, laid back... it was perfect for everything, the club, the beach, the office (oh that's right, adults don't get to have as much fun in the summer). It was actually a massive hit before the video even came out, but once it did, it just made things better! It made us all feel like we were actually FROM California!


I think "Teenage Dream" manages to trump that! It manages to capture the sweetness of first love. It made us all feel like teenagers again... in a good way, minus the zits and perspiration. It's kinda rocky but still hook-y. (I was actually tempted to include Darren Cris' gorgeous cover from Glee on this list, as I love it just as well, but opted to let Katy have the moment.) Katy is my pick for Artist of the Year, definitely!


And finally... #1... The Countess Luann De Lesseps - Money Can't Buy You Class
Such a rich, subtle, multifaceted voice! I haven't heard the likes of such since Bea Arther sang in the Star Wars Christmas Special. And such clever and thought-provoking lyrics! "He's either rude or has some style and panache!" Panache is kinda FRENCH!









(Deep, throaty laugh) HA HA! J/K yo! Here's the real deal!

1. Cee Lo Green - F**k You!

There is no way to NOT absolutely love this song! It is undeniably catchy, the lyrics are HILARIOUS and BRILLIANT (written by Bruno Mars, btw) and Cee Lo's falsetto is just a dream! The rest of his album, The Lady Killer is also overflowing with excellence... Best Album of the Year! If I had to critique this song at all, it does slightly bug me that he jumps from addressing his ex to the guy she's now with, with abandon. But... I mean, it's the BEST song of the year! Totally!

No comments:

Post a Comment